My Portfolio

Saturday, July 25, 2020

July 25th 2020 - Squid Mage and Italy Burano

Squid Mage by Satoshi Matsuura
Recreated another monster concept art by Satoshi Matsuura into a 3d model for practice. I feel its a pretty good recreation of the concept art. Implemented a basic body rig for the 3D model as well but didn't do any animations. Maybe I'll do something simple with it in the future.

I felt pretty comfortable tackling this practice project and I can attribute it to my gestural sculpting practice that I was doing. The character was composed of simple shapes that I knew I would be able to easily recreate with sculpting. After sculpting the character I then retopologized it. I put the character in a T-pose to make it easy to retopologize but it was only during the process that I realized that for future projects I should make things like the tentacles straight as well and then pose them afterwards. This is because it was a pain to retopologize the tentacles as a result of the angles.

One new tool I discovered and wish I knew about before is the B-Surface addon that comes built-in with Blender but isn't enabled by default. I only learned about it after completing the retopology but I can see myself using it more extensively for all future retopology projects.

An area of weakness and improvement that I will look into more in the future is to figure out a process for texturing. 
Squid Mage by Satoshi Matsuura

Italy Burano - 3D Recreation Project

For my next project I wanted to try my hand at making something more realistic in 3D and decided to use a a picture by Mathew Chen that he took of Italy. Still a lot of areas to improve upon but it was a good learning project for practicing hard-surface modeling and spent time focused on texturing.

If you want to see more beautiful photography/videography take a look at Mathews portfolio at :

Regular Video - Italy Burano

360 Video - Italy Burano

When I first approached the texturing I figured I could use camera projection to get easily create photo realistic texturing. Sadly the image I was using wasn't high enough resolution and the textures that I made were really pixelated so in the end I had to make each texture myself. 

It was a good experience since I haven't spent a lot of time on texturing and now feel comfortable with the basics. 

I want to experiment more with camera projection in future projects as I feel like it can be a powerful approach to creating 3D assets quickly. 

The water effect was created using the PBR Shader in Unity. Still a complete noob at shading and plan to tackle that in much further depth next month.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent knowledge, You are providing important knowledge. It is really helpful and factual information for us and everyone to increase knowledge. Continue sharing your data. Thank you. Read more info about 3d modeling company india